How will GDPR impact B2B marketing?14th August 2017
It is already being reported that the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will hugely shake up the way businesses collect, process and store marketing data when it comes into effect on the 25th May 2018.
However, did you know that there is a possibility that ‘opt in’ might not apply for certain marketing data collected by B2B marketers?
With or without the new GDPR law, B2B marketing data used for prospecting and lead generation will still need to comply with the Data Protection Act (DPA), and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulation (PECR). However, the type of consent you need may depend on the type of companies you hold data on and communicate with:
- Marketing data held for sole traders or partnerships will fall under the rules governing B2C marketing, so B2B marketers will need opt-in consent for email and SMS contact. But, for telephone and direct mail, it will remain opt-out.
- Marketing data held for all other organisations, as it currently stands will remain the same, opt-out.
This being said, businesses will still need to demonstrate that their marketing data is being held securely and ethically, and if requested, you will still need to be able to:
- Erase all data held on an individual or company.
- Specify exactly how their data is being used.
- Have a clear recording of consent to receive both opt-in, and opt-out communications.
The communications you send must also be directly relevant to the company, role and job title of the recipient, and you must ensure it is easy for them to opt-out of future communications.
Here are three practical steps to take now to ensure you comply in time for May 2018:
- Audit current systems and processes to identify any areas in need of improvement.
- Develop new policies for safekeeping customer personal data, using techniques such as pseudo data management and ensuring staff are trained on data protection.
- Educate your staff with the new regulation’s requirements. This will ensure your staff are aware of how to collect, store and communicate in compliance with the data protection laws.
Information governance and compliance is easy when you have Griffin House Consultancy on your team. Contact us today on 01673 885533 or email [email protected]